Dr. Georges C. Benjamin, APHA Executive Director, submits letter to Congress outlining the 2019 Advocacy Priorities for the Association. These priorities include the following focal points:
- Strengthen funding for public health agencies and programs including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Health Resources and Services Administration;
- Expand access to comprehensive affordable health coverage and services by upholding the Affordable Care Act, supporting innovative efforts to further expand access to coverage and services and protecting vital safety net programs;
- Support efforts to address the health impacts of climate change;
- Address the public health threats from gun violence by supporting universal background checks and funding for public health research into firearm morbidity and mortality prevention; and
- Maintain strong public health regulations and oppose efforts to weaken regulations, including those impacting child nutrition, reproductive health and environmental health and safety.
Read the letter HERE